see follow-up: Army man in Bonifacio amok killed in Iloilo shootout

A former Army sergeant wanted by authorities for killing two other soldiers and wounding his superiors in Taguig City in 2009 ran amuck anew in Tigbauan, Iloilo, on Thursday, killing an elderly woman.

Inspector Abner Jordan, Tigbauan Police chief, said former Sgt. Elias Tial shot to death Perpetua Aliparo, 77, at the latter’s home in the remote Brgy. Danao past 10 p.m. Thursday.

Perpetua and her husband Romulo were sleeping inside their nipa hut when Tial arrived in front of the house shouting, ordering them to come out.

“Nagsisigaw daw itong si Elias, pinapalabas ‘yung mag-asawa dahil sisingilin na sila ng utang at kailangan nilang magbayad para sa mga kasalanan,” Jordan said in a phone interview.

Several gunshots then rang so Romulo crawled to the kitchen for safety and ran to his children’s home, not knowing that Perpetua was left behind, according to the police official.

“Siguro dahil may edad na rin siya (Perpetua) kaya hindi na nakatakbo. Nang balikan ng asawa kinabukasan na ng umaga, doon na siya nakitang patay,” Jordan said.

Upon learning the incident from Romulo Friday morning, police went to the area but found Tial long gone. Investigators recovered from the scene five empty shells and a live ammunition of a caliber-.45 pistol.

Jordan said the incident may have been an act of revenge because Tial believes that the Aliparo couple were responsible for his father’s death.

“Ayon sa husband ng biktima, galit sa kanila si Tial kasi naniniwala ito na sila ang dahilan kung bakit namatay ‘yung tatay niya… Itong babae ay parang albularyo, naghihilot doon sa kanila,” the police official said.

Meanwhile, Jordan confirmed that Tial is “the same person” who went on a shooting spree inside the Army 12th Special Forces Company’s barracks in Fort Bonifacio on February 25, 2009.

Killed in that incident were Tial’s superiors 1Lt. Gerald Fuentes and Msgt. Eliseo dela Cruz Jr., intelligence officer and first sergeant respectively of the 12th SF Coy.

Captain Benito Ramos Jr., 31, and Capt. Dionilo Aragon Jr., 30, commander and executive officer of that company, respectively, suffered multiple bullet wounds on the body. Aragon died at the hospital the next day.

Tial was allegedly frustrated for not being able to go home immediately on February 21, when his father died. His uncle also passed away the previous month, according to the Army. (John Roson)

see follow-up: Army man in Bonifacio amok killed in Iloilo shootout

– end –