At least 50 residents of a remote village in the highlands of Lake Sebu, South Cotabato, have fallen ill after eating spoiled “carabeef” or carabao meat, police said.
Chief Supt. Benjardi Mantele, Soccsksargen regional police director, said the alleged food poisoning occurred around 7:45 p.m. Thursday at Sitio Tinugas, Brgy. Ned.
“The victims suffered abdominal pain, diarrhea, and severe dehyration after eating carabao meat,” Mantele said in a text message, citing a report from the Lake Sebu Police.
Ten of the victims were brought to the Provincial Hospital while 40 others are being brought Friday by volunteers and policemen to the municipal health office, Mantele said. (John Roson)
– end –