The Philippine National Police has maintained “heightened” and “full” alert status in different regions for Sunday’s tenth anniversary of the deadly September 11 terror attacks on the US.
Chief Superintendent Agrimero Cruz, PNP spokesman, said the heightened alert status was “reiterated” for police units in Ilocos region, the Cordilleras, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, the three regions of Visayas, Camp Crame, and Metro Manila.
All police units in Mindanao and the elite Special Action Force remain on full alert, Cruz said in a text message.
Under the full alert status, policemen are not allowed to go on leave. Only half of the force of a police unit placed under the heightened alert status may go on leave.
“This is a reiteration, we want to remind our field units that the alert status, especially in Mindanao, is still up,” Cruz said in a phone interview.
The heightened and full alert statuses are being implemented since July 29, he noted.
Regional police commanders, however, were given the authority to upgrade the alert level in their areas depending on their assessment of the situation.
They were also reminded to take steps such as securing all PNP camps and offices, vital installations, economic key points, and places of convergence.
Cruz said the police has so far not monitored any terror threat.
“Wala kaming namo-monitor so far, even sa international liaisoning, we are regularly checking,” he said. (John Roson)
– end –