Department of National Defense spokesman Zosimo Jesus Paredes quit his post after being reprimanded for saying that the Aquino administration can establish a “revolutionary government.”

Paredes said Defense Sec. Volatire Gazmin called his attention after learning of the remarks, which he made in a forum earlier in the week.

According to Paredes, he was asked in the forum what were President Benigno Aquino III’s options if the friction between the executive and judicial branches results in a constitutional crisis.

“I cited a constitutional provision… I said then that I’m not speaking now as a spokesman. Nonetheless ako ay pinagsabihan tungkol dun… I explained to secretary, but still sabi niya di siya natutuwa,” said Paredes, who took over as DND spokesman only on October 3.

“Sabi niya (Gazmin) hindi natutuwa si Presidente at pagka pinatawag ako tungkol dito eh ganun na nga, that ‘you have to go,'” he said.

Paredes said he submitted his resignation Friday, but wasn’t able to speak with Gazmin because the latter was out.

Asked for his parting message for the secretary, Paredes said: “Tingnan naman natin, kasi alam mo minsan nagkakaroon ng gap between the principal and the spokesman, minsan nag-aantay ang spokesman… it’s not all the time na matatanong mo, ‘sir ano gusto mong sabihin ko?'”

It was the second time for defense and military establishment to lose a spokesman under the Aquino administration.

On October 22, Col. Antonio Parlade was removed as Army spokesman after saying in television interviews that “in his opinion,” the ceasefire with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front should be suspended because of the deadly clash in Al Barka, Basilan, a few days earlier.

The 19 soldiers killed on October 18 were all members of the Special Forces, the elite Army unit where Parlade belongs to.

“I know where he (Parlade) was coming from. Ramdam na ramdam ko, in fact when he left I gave him a few words. I said I do not blame you for having said that… dapat ‘di sinisibak kaagad,” Paredes said. (John Roson)

– end –