A Filipino guide who was abducted by armed men along with two European wildlife photographers in Panglima Sugala, Tawi-Tawi, escaped from their captors Wednesday night, police said.

Ivan Sadenas escaped from his abductors around 9:30 p.m. by jumping out of the speeding pumpboat, Dir. Felicisimo Khu, head of the PNP Directorate for Integrated Police Operations in Mindanao, said.

Sadenas, reportedly from Davao, is presently being interviewed by the provincial police chief at the Panglima Sugala Police Station, Khu said in a text message.

Meanwhile, authorities have yet to locate Dutch national Elwold Horn and Swiss national Lorenzo Vinciguerra, who were abducted by at least five men along with Sadenas in waters off Sitio Luuk-Luuk, Brgy. Parangan, in the afternoon.

The abductors might be heading towards Sulu, so the Navy’s Task Force 62 put up a naval blockade while police and military units in Sulu have been alerted, Khu said.

Sulu, which lies northeast of the Tawi-Tawi archipelago, is a known lair of the Jemaah Islamiyah-linked Abu Sayyaf group, which had been blamed for several kidnappings of foreign nationals.

In January 2009, members of the group abducted Italian, Swiss, and Filipino workers of the International Committee of the Red Cross who inspected water and sanitation facilities at the Sulu Provincial Jail in Jolo.

Filipina Mary-Jean Lacaba and Swiss national Andreas Notter were freed by the Abu Sayyaf in April, while Italian Eugenio Vagni was released in July.

Khu said he and Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao caretaker Gov. Mujiv Hataman will go to Tawi-Tawi on Thursday to address the latest abduction. (John Roson)

– end –