Two soldiers and a suspected New People’s Army (NPA) member were killed while six other people were injured as government troops clashed with rebels who staged attacks in several parts of the country on Sunday and Monday.

The latest incident occurred around 10:55 a.m., when “harassed” a militia detachment at Buko-Buko San Anay in Brgy. Kingking, Pantukan, Compostela Valley, said Senior Insp. Gretchin Cinco, Southern Mindanao regional police deputy spokesperson.

About 20 rebels positioned themselves 150 meters from the Civilian Active Auxiliary detachment of the 72nd Infantry Battalion then opened fire, triggering a 30-minute gunbattle with troops. It not immediately known if there were casualties in the clash, she said.

Around 7:55 a.m, members of the 82nd Infantry Battalion clashed with rebels who fired upon the military trucks they were riding in the boundary of Brgy. Adgao and Brgy. Ingay in Tubungan, Iloilo, Maj. Inreco Ileto, public affairs chief of the Army’s 3rd Infantry Division.

Members of the 82nd IB were on their way to pick up students who will undergo training at Technical Education Skills and Development Authority in Iloilo City when the rebels detonated an improvised explosive device and opened fire, he said.

Two civilians, Rex Taala and Pilita Tabiosan, and three soldiers were wounded in the attack. A suspected NPA rebel identified as Samuel Lauriano alias Rene was killed when the soldiers returned fire, Ileto said.

In San Miguel, Catanduanes, a soldier was killed and another was injured in an encounter with rebels who ambushed a truck of the 83rd Infantry Battalion in Brgy. Balatohan around 1:30 a.m., Maj. Angelo Guzman, spokesman of the 9th Infantry Division, said.

Private first class Edel Llamas died while returning fire at the ambushers while Pfc. Elisio Gran, one of those riding the truck, was hit on the right leg, Guzman said.

The soldiers came from a security patrol to protect a hydroelectric plant in Brgy. Solong, which the NPA had warned to destroy after the management refused to give in to their extortion demand, he said.

On Sunday afternoon, one soldier was killed when suspected NPA members attacked their outpost in Sibagat, Agusan del Sur.

An undetermined number of members of the NPA’s Guerilla Front 21, “harassed” a platoon’s temporary base in Brgy. New Tubigon around 3:30 p.m., triggering a 10-minute firefight where Cpl. Rio Ecobiza got killed, said Maj. Eugenio Osias, Army 4th Infantry Division spokesman.

The attack came as other government troops are busy running after rebels in the adjacent province of Agusan del Norte, and Surigao del Norte. (John Roson)

– end –