Police on Tuesday denied speculations that the man who carried an explosive that went off near a school in Pontevedra, Capiz, on Monday was a suicide bomber or a terrorist.

The man – who got killed in the explosion along with a 9-year-old girl – has been identified as Jordiano Develos, a resident of Brgy. Tuburan in Maayon town, said Senior Superintendent Ulysses Caton, director of the Capiz provincial police.

It was also learned thru the Explosives and Ordnance Disposal team that Develos carried a grenade, not an improvised bomb, Caton said by phone.

“Wala na ‘yun, malayo, lumalabas na itong hand grenade ay pangdepensa niya (Develos),” the police official said, when asked if terrorism has been ruled out as an angle in the incident.

“Sa kanya mismo itong granada, maraming occassion na dala niya ito palagi… Ngayon ‘yung kung saan man ang pinaggalingan nito, ‘yun ay subject pa ng further investigation namin,” Caton said.

Investigators have so far found that Develos was implicated in a murder case 10 years ago, but somehow managed to veer away from it.

Probers are now pursuing the angle that Develos may have been under the influence of illegal drugs when the explosion occurred.

“Sa ngayon, doon ang pinatutunguhan ng investigation,” Caton said.

Develos and a 9-year-old pupil died in the explosion that occurred around 12 noon Monday near the elementary school in Brgy. Lantangan.

Fifteen other people, mostly children who just emerged from morning classes, were hurt in the blast. (John Roson)

– end –