Four people were injured when an explosion of a still unknown origin ripped through a passenger bus in Claver, Surigao del Norte, Wednesday noon, the military said.
Four of the passengers were hit by debris, which dealt them slight wounds, said Major Ezra Balagtey, public affairs officer of the Armed Forces’ Eastern Mindanao Command.
Superintendent Martin Gamba, Caraga regional police spokesman, said in a separate statement that only two people, identified as restaurant crew Maximiana Mamba and bus passenger Evelyn Romero, were hurt.
The explosion occurred in Purok 4, Brgy. Hayanggabon, around 11:20 a.m.
A Bachelor bus (LYH-790) headed for Tandag City was parked beside restaurant in that area as some passengers were about to take their lunch, Balagtey said.
The passengers evacuated the bus upon noticing fumes inside, then the explosion occurred, he said.
All people on the bus that exploded had already alighted before the incident, Gamba said.
Romero was a passenger of another bus that was beside the one that exploded, he added.
Local police are trying to determine if the blast was caused by an improvised explosive device or a mining chemical precursor, Balagtey said. (John Roson)
– end –