Tag Archive: Alan Purisima


The number of elected government officials killed in this year’s election period has already surpassed those of 2010 and 2007, police records showed.

Thirty-three elected officials were killed in election-related incidents from January 13 to May 13, almost twice as many as the 17 killed in an equivalent period (Jan. 10 to May 10) in 2010, records provided by the PNP Directorate for Investigative and Detective Management (DIDM) showed.

This year’s running tally has also surpassed the 21 elected officials who were killed in election-related incidents in an equivalent period (Jan. 14 to May 14) in 2007.

It is also higher than the 20 elected officials killed during the whole 2010 election period (Jan. 10 to June 9) and the 26 officials slain during the entire poll season of 2007 (Jan. 10 to June 9).

The 33 officials who were slain are among 52 people killed in 90 incidents that occurred in this year’s election period. The others are comprised of 14 supporters of candidates, two soldiers, a policeman, and a non-elected official.

Interestingly, the number of persons slain this year is now almost equal to the 54 who were killed during the whole election period of 2010, despite fewer incidents. A total of 176 incidents were recorded three years ago.

Asked on the seemingly higher percentage of deaths, PNP chief Dir. Gen. Alan Purisima said in a press briefing that some of this year’s attacks were aimed at groups of people.

“‘Yung opportunity na maging biktima ay malaki dahil magkakasama-sama sila, unlike before when there were targeted personalities,” he said.

Meanwhile, Purisima said the PNP will continue monitoring incidents and remain vigilant as there is an “expected mounting of actions of losing candidates.”

The PNP will continue enforcing the election gun ban and its house-to-house checks for firearms with expired licenses until June 12, he added. (John Roson)

– end –

A total of 94 persons were arrested while P1.164 million was confiscated in operations against vote buying this election season, police said Thursday.

Of those arrested, 83 have been charged in court while 11 are still undergoing investigation, Senior Supt. Valeriano de Leon, chief of the PNP Directorate for Operations’ statistics and reports division, said in a briefing.

Fifty-nine incidents of vote buying were recorded in the entire country from Jan. 13 to May 13, but only 46 of these have been confirmed so far, De Leon said.

Of the confirmed incidents, eight occurred in the Zamboanga Peninsula, followed by seven in Ilocos region, five in Caraga, four each in Bicol, Central Visayas, and Eastern Visayas, three each in Central Luzon, Calabarzon, and Western Visayas, two in Cagayan Valley, and one each in Mimaropa, Northern Mindanao, and Central Mindanao, according to records presented by De Leon.

In Central Luzon, three persons were arrested and charged for two vote buying incidents that involved P505,700.

A total of 13 alleged incidents of vote buying were also reported in Metro Manila, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Central Mindanao, and the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

Eleven people were arrested and are still undergoing investigation for these incidents.

Despite the arrests, PNP chief Dir. Gen. Alan Purisima said the police still need to brush up on its campaign against vote buying.

“We need to review our elements of vote buying.. If there is a vague interpretation there, all cases will be dismissed,” Purisima said. (John Roson)

– end –

15 provinces under election watchlist

Authorities have placed 15 provinces placed under a watchlist for possible violence in the upcoming midterm elections, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas said.

In a press briefing, Roxas identified the provinces as Abra, Pangasinan, Ilocos Sur, La Union, Cagayan, Pampanga, Nueva Ecija, Batangas, Cavite, Masbate, Samar, Misamis Occidental, Maguindanao, Lanao del Sur, and Basilan.

The provinces, which are home to intense political rivalry, history of armed violence, loose firearms, and private armed groups, are like a “powder keg,” Roxas told reporters.

“Ang mga ito ang may pinaka-high risk na magkaroon ng karahasan,” he said.

More cops on duty, jails checked

Roxas said police task forces will be sent to each of the provinces to help policemen already assigned there in securing the elections.

Police officials that have relatives or classmates who will run for posts in those provinces will be transferred to other areas.

Roxas said jails in the 15 provinces will also undergo a “judicial audit” so authorities can keep tabs of prisoners during the election period.

“Ito’y dahil madalas sinasabi na ang mga preso pinapalabas para gumawa ng karahasan tapos ipapasok lang uli,” he said.

‘The heat is on’

Meanwhile, Roxas said police have already recorded 35 election-related incidents nationwide, including the 15 watchlisted provinces.

“Ngayon pa lang nagkakainitan na,” he said.

In Maguindanao alone, six government officials have already been killed and at four private armed groups were monitored, Deputy Dir. Gen. Alan Purisima, commander of the national police’s election Task Force SAFE, said.

Eighty-five barangays in the province are affected by “threat groups,” Purisima said.

Roxas said 60 active and 47 “potential” private armed groups are being monitored nationwide.

There are 25,065 “loose firearms,” or those in the hands of criminals and rebels, while there are 552,338 firearms whose licenses have not been renewed, he said.

“Kabilang ang mga ito sa mga baril na maaring magamit sa halalan,” he said.

MILF help welcome

Meanwhile, Roxas said he is “open” to suggestions that the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which just signed a “framework” peace agreement with the government, be tapped to help secure the elections.

However, Roxas said he still has to consult Presidential Peace Adviser Sec. Teresita Deles and chief peace negotiator Marvic Leonen on the matter.

“You have to understand that there’s also been years of mistrust, gaps, but this could be a good confidence-building measure,” he said. (John Roson)

– end –

The National Police is investigating National Capital Region Police chief Dir. Alan Purisima and Calabarzon regional police director Chief Supt. James Melad after they were accused of having links with “jueteng” syndicates.

National Police chief Dir. Gen. Nicanor Bartolome said the PNP Internal Affairs Service’s probe is ongoing even though Purisima and Melad have already denied the accusations.

“Ang DILG at Napolcom ay gumagawa rin po ng kanilang sariling imbestigasyon dito… lalo pa at matataas na opisyal nga itong sinasabi doon sa report,” Bartolome said in a radio interview.

Earlier, a certain “Molly Acuna” sent reporters a statement accusing Purisima and Melad of receiving money from jueteng syndicates.

Molly Acuna claimed to be a civilian asset of the PNP Intelligence Group but the head of that unit, Chief Supt. Charles Calima, denied having such an employee, Bartolome said. (John Roson)

– end –

4 killed in Taguig bomb blast

Two policemen and two civilians got killed while at least eight other people were injured when a “vintage bomb” exploded at a junkshop in Taguig City Wednesday afternoon, police said.

Killed on the spot were PO3 Elizalde Bisaya and junkshop employee Crisanto Daguio while PO2 Jose Toralba and Riza Romualdo, who owns a nearby bakery, died while being taken to the hospital, National Capital Region Police chief Dir. Alan Purisima said.

Eight other people, including PO2 Arnold Mayo who is in serious condition, are presently being treated at the hospital.

All the policemen are members of the elite PNP Special Action Force’s Explosives and Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team, Purisima said.

The explosion occurred around 3 p.m. near the corner of Daisy and Sto Niño sts., Purok 1, Brgy. Lower Bicutan.

“Allegedly ay nakita nila (policemen) ‘yung bomba somewhere then dinala sa talyer para i-defuse, parang binubuksan,” Purisima said in a phone interview.

Initial investigation indicated that Daguio tried to defuse the bomb using a wrench but failed, so he used a welding machine, causing the explosion.

The scene is just about 3 kilometers from the NCRPO’s Camp Bagong Diwa headquarters and field reports state that a “vintage bomb” went off, NCRPO spokesman Supt. Danilo Pecaño said.

“Inaalam pa natin ngayon kung saan nakuha ‘yung bomba, baka sa malapit lang, or kung may nag-surrender nito,” Purisima said. (John Roson)

– end –