Tag Archive: Albay


Improvised bombs found in Albay

Government troops seized improvised bombs and a gun at a suspected harboring site of New People’s Army (NPA) members in Legazpi City, Albay, early Wednesday.

Members of the 2nd Infantry Battalion found four improvised explosive devices and a caliber-.9mm pistol at a copra kiln in Brgy. Cagbacong around 8:25 a.m., said Capt. Mardjorie Paimela Panesa, public affairs officer of the Army’s 9th Infantry Division.

Also found at the site were 15 meters of electrical wire, a hammock, and subversive documents, Panesa said.

Troops were sent to the area after residents reported the presence of NPA members, but the suspected rebels were already gone when soldiers arrived, she said.

Meanwhile, an NPA member surrendered to security forces in Camalig town, also in Albay, Wednesday morning.

Gilbert Paloma, who uses the aliases Vic and Ric, surrendered to members of the 2nd IB around 8 a.m., Armed Forces Southern Luzon Command spokesman Major Angelo Guzman said. (John Roson)

– end –

Five people, including four foreigners, were killed while at least seven were injured when Mayon Volcano in Albay spewed ash and rocks Tuesday morning, authorities said.

Rafaelito Alejandro, Office of Civil Defense-5 director, said four foreigners and a local tour guide died in the “phreatic explosion,” which occurred near the summit around 8 a.m.

The fatalities include tour guide Jerome Berin of Malilipot and three German nationals whose names have yet to be ascertained, Supt. Renato Bataller, Bicol regional police spokesman, said in a text message.

Injured are tour guide Keneth Gesalva and his Australian ward Straw Vega, as well as tour guide Jorge Cordovilla and his Thai wards Udome Kiat, Utan Ruchi, Boonchi, and Benjama, Bataller said.

Alejandro said two Air Force helicopters were sent to the volcano and were still conducting search and rescue operations as of Tuesday afternoon, to locate the hikers.

Alejandro said his office has yet to receive information if the explosion affected people living near the volcano, which is geographically shared by Legazpi City, Daraga, Camalig, Guinobatan, Ligao City, Tabaco City, Malilipot, and Santo Domingo.

“So far wala, ang report pa lang dito is ‘yung mga nag-tour doon, ‘yung umakyat,” Alejandro said.

Bataller said it is the first time since 1993 that Mayon Volcano acted up “without a warning.”

“Para itong ‘yung noong 1993 na nag-erupt nang walang kawarning-warning. Dati-rati kasi nagpaparamdam ito, may mga pagyanig kang mararamdaman. Noong 1993, bigla siyang nagbuga at mahigit 70 katao ang namatay,” he said. (John Roson)

– end –

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council has advised local governments to evacuate residents living beside bodies of water, especially rivers, in anticipation of typhoon “Bopha.”

“Ang partikular na preparasyon dito, ‘yung mga local responders ready na sila, ‘yung mga tao, na nandun sa paligid, sa gilid ng mga ilog, i-evacuate,” NDRRMC executive director Benito Ramos said in a phone interview Saturday.

Ramos made the call for local governments in the Visayas and Mindanao, which he said might feel the storm early next week.

“Ni-request ko na di lang ‘yung mga municipal gymnasium, kundi pati ‘yung mga eskuwelahan, simbahan, kasama na ‘yung mga sabungan, ‘wag muna magsabong (para matuluyan ng evacuees),” Ramos said.

Local disaster management councils in Regions 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and Caraga have held conferences in preparation for the storm, he said.

The storm – to be called “Pablo” once it enters the country – was seen 1,690 kilometers east of Southern Mindanao with maximum sustained winds of 165 kph and a gustiness of up to 200 kph, according to the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration.

As of 8 a.m. Saturday, the storm was seen moving west at a speed of 20 kph and is expected to enter the Philippine Area of Responsibility early Monday via Eastern Mindanao.

Ramos said it was still “too early” to predict which provinces or cities could be hit, but noted that those in the east experience storms first.

“It’s too early to predict kung alin dito sa mga lugar na ito, dahil meron tayong low-pressure area sa taas ng Taiwan, so that controls the (storm’s) behavior,” he said.

In an advisory Friday night, the NDRRMC said its operations center in Camp Aguinaldo has been placed under “blue alert,” meaning 50 percent of personnel must be at their posts any time.

Ramos said this was to give personnel a “breather” after being on alert for already a month for South Korea’s rocket launch.

The Bicol Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, in a separate advisory, said it has placed all its members and supporting agencies on “red alert” starting Saturday.

The council held a meeting Saturday to discuss preparations for the storm.

Albay Gov. Joey Salceda, chair of the provincial disaster risk reduction and management council, said in a memorandum that all activities related to the province’s Karangahan Festival will be put “on hold” starting Tuesday in anticipation of the storm.

Evacuation of people will also start that day, he said. (John Roson)

– end –

A 17-year-old high school student was killed while 11 other persons, mostly students, were injured when the tricycle they were riding fall into a ravine in Tabaco City, Albay, Thursday afternoon, police said.

Marilou Broniosa, a 4th year student at the Bantayan National High School, expired while being brought to the Ziga Memorial District Hospital, Bicol regional police spokesman Supt. Renato Bataller said.

Two other people are still confined at the same hospital, one at the Sabredo General Hospital, while eight others, including the tricycle driver, have been transferred to the Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital in Legazpi City due to severe injuries.

The incident occurred around 4:30 p.m. in the mountainous area of Brgy. Oras, about 9 to 10 kilometers from Tabaco City proper.

The tricycle had just fetched the students from the Bantayan National High School and was bringing them home to Brgy. Sua-Igot, when one of its tires suddenly exploded.

“Pumutok ‘yung gulong niya at medyo pababa pa ‘yung lugar, kaya hindi na na-control ng driver ‘yung manibela at bumulusok po ito dun sa bangin na may lalim na tatlong tao, siguro mga 15 feet, at bumagsak dun sa mga batuhan,” Bataller said in a phone interview. (John Roson)

– end –

Suspected New People’s Army (NPA) members beheaded a barangay kagawad in Guinobatan, Albay, police said.

Officials of Brgy. Cabaloaon reported to soldiers 6:30 a.m. Monday that kagawad Ely Oguis was beheaded in Purok 6, Sitio Palatbuton, Bicol regional police spokesman Supt. Renato Bataller said.

As of 9 a.m., troops are on the way to recover Oguis’ remains. It was the “first time” for NPA members to behead a person in Bicol, Bataller said in a text message.

It is believed that Oguis refused to give in to the rebels’ extortion, according to the regional police spokesman.

The beheading was reported hours after members of the Army’s 2nd Infantry Battalion were fired upon by rebels in Brgy. Cabaloaon around 11:30 p.m. Sunday.

Maj. Angelo Guzman, spokesman of the Army’s 9th Infantry Division which supervises the 2nd IB, said both incidents have been “confirmed.” (John Roson)

– end –

3 killed, 1 hurt in Legazpi City car crash

Three people were killed while another was seriously injured when the car they were riding slammed into a telephone pole in Legazpi City, Albay, Saturday night, authorities said.

Supt. Renato Bataller, Bicol regional police spokesman, identified the fatalities as Voltaire Salcedo, 30; Andrew Salcedo, 18; and Johnny Borromeo, 17.

Injured was a certain Nicole Paje, 17, Bataller said, citing an initial report from the Legazpi City Police.

Initial investigation showed that the elder Salcedo was driving a Ford Lynx (WPY-941) in Brgy. Rawis around 11:30 p.m., when the car accidentally hit a Digitel post.

Two of the car’s passengers died on the spot while another expired on the way to the Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

The fourth passenger is in “critical condition,” the agency said in a report. (John Roson)

– end –

NPA officer killed in Albay clash

A ranking New People’s Army (NPA) officer was killed in a clash with government troops in Ligao City, Albay, early Thursday, authorities said.

Soldiers and policemen recovered the body of Antonio Perelonia alias Eddie, Bicol regional police spokesman Supt. Renato Bataller said.

Members of the 9th Military Intelligence Battalion, 2nd Infantry Battalion, and PNP 5th Regional Public Safety Battalion encountered about five rebels, who Perelonia led, in Sitio Managanaga, Brgy. Oma-oma, 6:10 a.m.

The clash lasted for about five minutes, afterwhich troops recovered Perelonia, a grenade, caliber-.45 pistol, and subversive documents, Bataller said in a text message.

Perelonia was a member of the NPA’s executive committee in Albay, Maj. Angelo Guzman, spokesman of the Army’s 9th Infantry Division, said. (John Roson)

– end –

A ranking New People’s Army (NPA) officer was captured while two of his followers were killed in a clash with government troops in Iriga City, Camarines Sur, Wednesday afternoon.

Edgardo Sevilla, a member of the NPA executive committee in Albay, was injured and brought to the Bicol Medical Center in Naga City where he is now being guarded by military personnel, Bicol regional police spokesman Supt. Renato Bataller said.

The slain rebels, identified only thru the aliases “Jeff” and “Tony,” were brought to a funeral parlor, Bataller said.

The clash occurred around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at Zone 7, Brgy. San Vicente.

Maj. Angelo Guzman, spokesman of the Army’s 9th Infantry Division, said members of the 42nd Infantry Battalion were conducting combat operations when they encountered Sevilla’s group.

After a five-minute firefight, the rebels withdrew leaving two comrades dead, while Edgardo Sevilla aka Palong was wounded in the leg.

A caliber-.9mm pistol and caliber-.45 pistol were recovered from the encounter site.

Sevilla, known as the finance officer of the NPA’s executive committee in Albay, has been monitored in the area for some time. “We believe they went down the mountains to collect money,” Guzman said.

Sevilla has a warrant of arrest for murder issued by the Ligao City RTC Branch 13 and was charged for six other murder cases, three attempted murder cases, and a frustrated murder case, according to the regional military spokesman. (John Roson)

– end –

2 rebels killed in Albay clash

Two suspected New People’s Army (NPA) members were killed in a clash with soldiers in Camalig, Albay, early Saturday, the military said.

The fatalities were identified as Arboy Moina, of Jovellar, and Fernando Mostoles Jr, of Camalig, Maj. Angelo Guzman, spokesman of the Army’s 9th Infantry Division, said.

Moina was identified through a residence certificate while Mostoles was identified by his uncle. Their bodied have been turned over to the police, Guzman said.

The clash occurred around 5:30 a.m. as members of the 2nd Infantry Battalion were conducting combat operations.

Troops earlier recieved information from local folk that about 10 rebels were recruiting members and conducting extortion activities in their village, Guzman said.

After the clash, soldiers were sent to run after the remaining rebels along with K9 dogs, he said. (John Roson)

– end –

Suspected New People’s Army (NPA) members fired at President Benigno Aquino’s security escorts in Ligao City, Albay, on Friday but no one was injured, the military said Saturday.

The incident occurred around 1:45 p.m., while a convoy of the Presidential Security Group, police, and Army were passing through Brgy. Palaspas, Maj. Angelo Guzman, spokesman of the Army’s 9th Infantry Division, said.

Four men, believed to be members of the “Militia ng Bayan” and armed with two M16 rifles, fired four times when the convoy passed by, he said.

The security personnel were on their way back to their offices after providing security in Pio Duran, some 20 kilometers away, where the President visited the wake of a soldier, Guzman said.

“They (rebels) indiscriminately fired without considering the harm it may bring to students in a nearby elementary school. The action was not intended to inflict casualty, but a tactic to make the rebels’ presence felt in the area and to embarrass the security forces,” he said.

Earlier in the day, Aquino visited the wake of Justice Secretary Leila de Lima’s father, former Comelec commissioner Vicente de Lima, in Iriga City, Camarines Sur.

He then visited the wake of Pfc. Erwin Martirez, who was killed in the recent clash between government troops and Abu Sayyaf members in Basilan. (John Roson)

– end –