Tag Archive: Benguet


The number of deaths caused by typhoon “Ineng” (international name: Goni) rose further to 15 on Sunday as authorities retrieved more bodies from a landslide-hit part of Mankayan, Benguet, authorities said.

Armando Dayao, Felimon Adcapan, and Jasper Olivarez’s bodies were retrieved from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Sunday, after Crispin Ablao was retrieved Saturday afternoon, Benguet provincial police spokesperson Senior Inspector Joyce Ann Dayag said.

All four were among a group of people who went missing after a landslide hit Sitio Elizabeth, Brgy. Taneg, early Saturday.

A landslide washed out shanties used by pocket miners in that area around 3 a.m., Cordillera regional police spokesperson Superintendent Cherry Fajardo said.

After Ablao’s body was retrieved past 2 p.m., residents told police that they were still looking for 18 people.

Search and recue operations had to be halted around 5 p.m. Saturday because of rising water level at the nearby creek, poor visibility, and heavy rain, Fajardo said.

Operations resumed Sunday morning, with 95 policemen from different units deployed, Dayag said.

Dayao, Adcapan, and Olivarez’s bodies were eventually retrieved while Jonie Foster and Marpety Bayagen, who had been among those reported as missing, were found alive, she said.

“Both persons (Foster and Bayagen) were confirmed alive. Accordingly, they went home before the incident happened,” Dayag said.

Thirteen people are still missing in the area as of Sunday afternoon, data provided by the Benguet provincial police showed.

They are Ronaldo Angel, Paulita Angel, Ronald Paul Angel, Hohn Aluyan Jr., Jose Aluyan Jr., Efren Balicdan, Mark Balicdan, Nardo Mocnangan, Marvin Baturi, Harold Baturi, Rocky Mangrubang, Crisanto Ablao, and Ramil Reyes.

Andrew Alex Uy, Office of Civil Defense-Cordillera director, confirmed Ablao, Dayao, Adcapan’s deaths in a report emailed Sunday afternoon.

Olivarez’s death has yet to be included in the regional civil defense unit’s list.

Uy, meanwhile, confirmed a death in Tabuk City, Kalinga.

Julius Gumisa’s body was retrieved 11 a.m. Sunday in Brgy. Suyang, Tabuk, after he went missing in Brgy. Caluttit, Bontoc, Mountain Province, the regional OCD chief said in his report.

Gumisa was the lone fatality of drowning in Cordillera, while the rest died in landslides, according to the report.

Landslides occurred as the mountainous region experienced 721.6-millimeter rainfall, or 78.43 percent of the monthly average 920mm, from August 20 to 23.

“The soil is already saturated,” Uy said.

Meanwhile, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said close to 33,000 persons in Cordillera, Ilocos region, Cagayan Valley, Calabarzon, and Mimaropa fled their homes amid landslides, floods, and tornados at the height of “Ineng.”

Some 12,510 persons went to evacuation centers while 20,407 stayed at the home of relatives. Out of the total number of displaced persons, only 8,426 were evacuated ahead of the storm, the NDRRMC noted.

Incidents caused by “Ineng” also destroyed at least 958 houses in Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, La Union, Cagayan, Batanes, Benguet, Apayao, Kalinga, Mountain Province, and Laguna.

The typhoon has also caused at least P124.818 million worth of damage to agriculture and infrastructure in Ilocos region, Cagayan Valley, and Cordillera, according to the NDRRMC. (John Roson)

– end –

(Update) Twelve people were killed while seven others were injured when the utility vehicle they were riding fell into a ravine in Buguias, Benguet, on Saturday afternoon, police said.

Twenty passengers were found at the crash site, but 11 died while being brought to the hospital, Supt. Davy Vicente Lim-mong, Cordillera regional police spokesman, said.

The 11 were identified as Biana Olsim, Manuel Langbis, Bino Waclin, Melania Madiano, Alfredo Pattian, Ferdilyn Igualdo, Arnaldo Madiano, Kimberly Waclin, Ema Tosay, Melanio Igualdo, and Melin Dasdas, all residents of Brgy. Poblacion, Buguias.

One passenger, Marrieta Gaspil, was brought to the Benguet General Hospital (BGH) but she expired while undergoing treatment, Lim-mong said.

Seven others, including driver Ambrocio Menzi, passengers Basilio Baldos, Oronio Agyapas, Nicole Waclin, Wela Waclin, Braille Waclin, and a still unidentified man are being treated at the BGH, he said.

Another passenger, identified as Jerry Bisaya Atas, was not hurt as he was able to jump off the vehicle when he noticed that it was going the wrong way, Lim-mong said.

The incident occurred around 2:30 p.m. along the Halsema Highway in Bayoyo, Brgy. Buyacaoan.

Menzi was driving the Ford Fiera utility vehicle (AAD-874) towards Brgy. Abatan when it fell into a ravine more or less 80 meters deep, Lim-mong said.

Initial investigation showed that the driver lost control of the vehicle due to a sudden downpour and heavy fog, he said. (John Roson)

– end –

post updated. see update here

Ten people were killed while at least 10 others were injured when the utility vehicle they were riding fell into a ravine in Buguias, Benguet, on Saturday afternoon, police said.

Twenty passengers were pulled out of the crash site, but 10 died while being brought to the hospital, Supt. Davy Vicente Lim-mong, Cordillera regional police spokesman, said in a text message, citing initial field reports.

The injured are still undergoing treatment at the Abatan and Lutheran hospitals, with some being recommended for transfer to medical facilities in Baguio City, he said.

The incident occurred around 2:30 p.m. in Brgy. Bayoyo.

The Ford Fiera utility vehicle (AAD-874) was heading towards Brgy. Abatan when it fell into a ravine more or less 80 meters deep, Lim-mong said. (John Roson) post updated. see update here

– end –

Three people were injured when a fragmentation grenade exploded in Baguio City early Sunday, shortly before the highlight of the city’s Panagbenga Festival (Flower Festival) started, police said.

Gilbert Salvador, 29; Joseph Espada, 49; and Genard Palomique, 33, all local residents, suffered “minor injuries” on their legs and backs, Baguio City Police director Senior Supt. Jesus Cambay Jr. said.

All three victims were rushed by responding policemen and volunteers to the Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center, he said.

The blast occurred around 6:50 a.m. at the basement of the Melvin Jones Grandstand in Burnham Park, where the Baguio City Volunteers Against Crime holds office, city police spokesman Senior Insp. Virgilio Hidalgo said by phone.

Initial investigation showed that an unidentified suspect threw an MK 2 fragmentation grenade while Salvador, Joseph Espada, and Palomique were busy attending to their work inside the office, Hidalgo said.

The incident occurred barely two hours before the Panagbenga Festival’s “grand float parade” started around 8 a.m.

The parade started at the Panagbenga Park, passed through Session Road in the city center, and ended at the Baguio Athletic Bowl in Burnham Park past 11 a.m.

This year’s festival kicked off on Feb. 10 and will close on March 4.

Cambay said the blast “was not a terrorist act” and “could not be related” to the annual festival, which draws millions of spectators to the city.

“It is very unfortunate that this isolated incident occurred despite the festive mood that the residents and visitors are now experiencing in this mountain resort,” Cambay added.

Investigators were still trying to determine the perpetrator’s identity and location as of this writing. (John Roson)

– end –

Six people were killed when the van they were riding fell into a deep ravine in Atok, Benguet, early Sunday, a police official said.

The Hyundai Grace van (WSY-874) was carrying 13 people when it fell into a 200-meter deep ravine, Supt. Edwin Butacan, head of the PNP Highway Patrol Group’s unit in the Cordillera region, said.

The incident occurred at Kilometer 43 Balangbang around 2 a.m., while the van was travelling from Tadian, Mt. Province, to Baguio City, Butacan said.

Seven people were injured in the incident and have been brought to different hospitals, according to a radio report. (John Roson)

– end –