Tag Archive: Cavite

The number of fatalities caused by typhoon “Glenda” (Rammasun) surged to 51 Thursday, as authorities recieved more reports of casualties from Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) region, where the storm knocked down many power and telecommunication lines.

Storm-caused deaths rose to 33 in Calabarzon alone and three people are still missing, according to a report from the Office of Civil Defense 4A.

Eleven died in Laguna, followed by eight in Quezon, six in Batangas, five in Cavite, and three in Rizal.

Most of the fatalities were hit by falling trees, collapsing walls, and other storm debris, while some drowned and one suffered heart attack while being rescued, according to the report.

One of the fatalities in the OCD-4A report, identified as Mario Moral, was captain of a fishing boat that capsized off Cavite City on Wednesday because of rough sea conditions caused by “Glenda.”

Navy personnel found Moral’s body near their base in Sangley Point past 3 p.m. and rescued his four companions, according to a report from the Cavite provincial police.

“Quezon province is the hardest hit by typhoon ‘Glenda.’ The region is still waiting for reports of local governments whose communication lines were damaged, which resulted in the slow generation and submission of reports,” OCD 4A director Vicente Tomazar said in his report.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, meanwhile, said 18 people died in Metro Manila (2), Central Luzon (4), Mimaropa (5), Bicol (4), Western Visayas (1), and Eastern Visayas (2).

One of the fatalities in Central Luzon, identified as 69-year-old Pacita Janggui, suffered a stroke when the roof of her house in Sto. Tomas, Pampanga, was blown off by the typhoon’s strong winds, according to the NDRRMC.

The fatality in Western Visayas, Felipe Royo, was previously reported as missing. He was carried away by waters of a river that he tried to cross in Janiuay, Iloilo.

One person remains missing in Marinduque, according to the NDRRMC.

“Glenda” damaged 19,257 houses and destroyed 7,002 others in Ilocos region, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Bicol, Eastern Visayas, and Metro Manila.

The storm also destroyed at least P1.135 billion worth of crops and livestock in Central Luzon, Mimaropa, and Bicol, and left at least P49.1 million worth of damage to infrastructure in Bataan, Nueva Ecija, and Metro Manila, according to the NDRRMC. (John Roson)

– end –

15 provinces under election watchlist

Authorities have placed 15 provinces placed under a watchlist for possible violence in the upcoming midterm elections, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas said.

In a press briefing, Roxas identified the provinces as Abra, Pangasinan, Ilocos Sur, La Union, Cagayan, Pampanga, Nueva Ecija, Batangas, Cavite, Masbate, Samar, Misamis Occidental, Maguindanao, Lanao del Sur, and Basilan.

The provinces, which are home to intense political rivalry, history of armed violence, loose firearms, and private armed groups, are like a “powder keg,” Roxas told reporters.

“Ang mga ito ang may pinaka-high risk na magkaroon ng karahasan,” he said.

More cops on duty, jails checked

Roxas said police task forces will be sent to each of the provinces to help policemen already assigned there in securing the elections.

Police officials that have relatives or classmates who will run for posts in those provinces will be transferred to other areas.

Roxas said jails in the 15 provinces will also undergo a “judicial audit” so authorities can keep tabs of prisoners during the election period.

“Ito’y dahil madalas sinasabi na ang mga preso pinapalabas para gumawa ng karahasan tapos ipapasok lang uli,” he said.

‘The heat is on’

Meanwhile, Roxas said police have already recorded 35 election-related incidents nationwide, including the 15 watchlisted provinces.

“Ngayon pa lang nagkakainitan na,” he said.

In Maguindanao alone, six government officials have already been killed and at four private armed groups were monitored, Deputy Dir. Gen. Alan Purisima, commander of the national police’s election Task Force SAFE, said.

Eighty-five barangays in the province are affected by “threat groups,” Purisima said.

Roxas said 60 active and 47 “potential” private armed groups are being monitored nationwide.

There are 25,065 “loose firearms,” or those in the hands of criminals and rebels, while there are 552,338 firearms whose licenses have not been renewed, he said.

“Kabilang ang mga ito sa mga baril na maaring magamit sa halalan,” he said.

MILF help welcome

Meanwhile, Roxas said he is “open” to suggestions that the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which just signed a “framework” peace agreement with the government, be tapped to help secure the elections.

However, Roxas said he still has to consult Presidential Peace Adviser Sec. Teresita Deles and chief peace negotiator Marvic Leonen on the matter.

“You have to understand that there’s also been years of mistrust, gaps, but this could be a good confidence-building measure,” he said. (John Roson)

– end –

Six suspected hijackers, including three Metro Manila policemen, were killed in back-to-back encounters with policemen in Dasmarinas City, Cavite, early Friday.

Two of the slain suspects were identified through their ID cards as PO2 Robert Santos, who went Awol from the National Capital Region Police Office last August, and PO1 Junjie Jun Liangco, an active member of the NCR Regional Public Safety Battalion, Cavite provincial police director Senior Supt. John Bulalacao said.

The third suspect is believed to be PO3 Jessie Villanueva of the Manila Police Station 8 (Sta. Mesa), Bulalacao said in a phone interview.

Three other slain suspects remain unidentified as of this writing, but police believe these had been involved in other hijacking incidents in the Southern Tagalog area.

Recovered from the suspects were a K-9 sub-machine gun, two caliber-.9mm pistols and a caliber-.45 pistol with PNP markings, and two caliber-.38 revolvers.

The clashes occurred around 2 a.m. in Brgy. Lankaan 2 and Brgy. San Agustin 3.

Bulalacao said members of the Dasmarinas City Police and Cavite Provincial Police intelligence branch conducted an operation in the two areas after they were tipped off by five other suspected hijackers arrested on Thursday.

“Ang nag-lead sa amin eh ‘yung unang lima na nahuli kahapon, tatlong lalaki at dalawang babae. Sila ‘yung nagturo kung nasaan tinago ‘yung goods na nakuha sa hijacking noong Martes,” he said.

On Tuesday, hijackers stole some P1.9 million worth of grocery items from a delivery van along Aguinaldo Highway in Brgy. Salitran 1.

Yesterday’s encounter resulted in the recovery of the stolen goods, as well as a Mitsubishi Adventure with no registration plate, and a Toyota Vios. (John Roson)

– end –

The suspect in the killing of singer Charice Pempengco’s father surrendered to authorities in Gen. Trias, Cavite, Thursday afternoon, police said.

Suspect Angel Capili arrived at the home of Gen. Trias Mayor Luis “Jon-Jon” Ferrer around 2:30 p.m., Senior Supt. John Bulalacao, Cavite Provincial Police director, said in a phone interview.

“Sumuko siya (Capili) sa tulong ni barangay chairman (Rolando) Pagkaliwangan ng Brgy. Santiago, doon rin sa Gen. Trias,” Bulalacao said.

As of this writing, Bulalacao and his men are transporting Capili to Camp Crame to present the latter to PNP officials and DILG Sec. Jesse Robredo.

“Pupunta rin si Charice para makilala niya ‘yung suspect,” Bulalacao said.

Meanwhile, police in San Pedro, Laguna, are set to file murder charges against Capili Thursday.

Capili is said to have stabbed Charice’s 40-year-old father Ricky Pempengco with an icepick on Monday night, while the latter was buying cigarettes at a store near his home in Brgy. Laram. (John Roson)

– end –

Two security guards and a bank teller got killed after being shot by hold-up men inside a mall in Dasmarinas City, Cavite, Saturday morning.

Security guard Felipe Cipres died on the spot while teller Rey Tingco died on the way to the hospital, Senior Supt. John Bulalacao, Cavite Provincial Police director, said in a phone interview.

Another guard, identified as Melu Quinabandal, was also brought to the hospital but expired while undergoing treatment, Bulalacao said.

The incident occurred around 10:05 a.m., while Cipres, Tingco, Quinabandal, and Eduardo Noel Malayba, liaison officer of the JMY Money Changer, were walking at the ground floor of Robinsons Place Dasmarinas.

The four were bringing P5 million cash, which they earlier withdrew from Robinson’s Bank, to the money changer inside the mall, when held up and shot by about five men.

“Itong si Malayba, he is unscathed. Accordingly ay nakabunot daw siya ng baril at nakipagpalitan ng putok sa mga holdaper,” Bulalacao said.

Despite this, members of the Dasmarinas City Police placed Malayba under investigation for his possible involvement in the heist.

“Pagkatapos ng flag ceremony, around 10 a.m., sila nag-withdraw at nung palabas na sa bangko ay sakto namang pumasok ‘yung mga holdaper… Pangalawang insidente na ito dito sa mall, same money changer, ‘yung isa ay noong May 2010 at kasama rin siya (Malayba) na nag-withdraw ng pera noon,” Bulalacao said.

“He (Malayba) is considered as a suspect for now, because of the possibility of an ‘inside job’,” the police official said, adding they are also probing the security guard assigned to the mall gate where the hold-up men entered. (John Roson)

– end –