Tag Archive: crime


Three foreigners abducted by alleged Abu Sayyaf members on Samal Island, Davao del Norte, appeared in another video, calling on authorities to help save their lives by meeting their captors’ demands.

The 1 minute and 38-second video, posted on a Facebook page called “Pamantasan Ng Tawheed At Jihaad Filibin” Thursday morning showed Canadians John Ridsdel and Robert Hall, Norweigian Kjartan Sekkingstad, and a woman believed to be Filipina Marites Flor, sitting in a jungle while being surrounded by gunmen.

With one captor holding a bolo against his neck, Ridsdel appealed to the Canadian prime minister and other Canadians to meet the hostage-takers’ demands.

“Please do what’s needed to meet their demands within one month or they will kill me and they will execute us,” he said.

Hall said they are being held by the Abu Sayyaf for an amount of ransom unknown to him, and the Canadian government should act to get them out soon.

“We got one month before this happens,” he said.

Sekkingstad said he and his fellow hostages are being held by the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu.

“Follow negotiations and try to meet their demand within 30 days or we are all dead,” he said.

The woman believed to be Flor did not speak in the video, where the faces of almost all captors — including the one that held a bolo against Ridsdel’s neck — were seen.

One hostage-taker, who was wearing a black balaclava and sunglasses, spoke for the gunmen.

“We will give a warning for one month preparation for the family to meet the demand. Once you step… the negotiation within one month starting today, March 8, 2016 until April 8, 2016. Then, if you think that your policy is far better for you than the lives of the captives, certainly we will do something terrible against these captives,” he said.

A previous video clip showing Ridsdel, Hall, Sekkingstad, Flor and their captors appeared in the Internet last November, barely two months after they were seized in Samal September 21.

Sought for comment on the new video, Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said authorities have yet to determine its “authenticity.”

“Dinulog po natin itong material na ito, itong video na ‘to, sa tanggapan ng ating mga forensic experts at antayin po muna natin ang kanilang ilalahad at ang kanilang mahahanap upang ma-authenticate natin nang ganap,” Padilla told reporters.

He admitted that threats made by the hostage-takers are “serious” and said operations were ongoing to rescue the captives.

“‘Yan po ang ating isinasagawa, di po nagbabago ‘yan, at karamihan po ng ating mga naisagawa nang activities ay nakatuon ang pansin sa, hopefully, pag-rescue sa mga nasabing bihag,” Padilla said.

Last month, the head of the police’s anti-kidnapping unit confirmed that Abu Sayyaf members are holding the four people kidnapped in Samal.

Senior Superintendent Roberto Fajardo, director of the PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group, also confirmed that members of the al Qaeda-linked group are asking P1 billion in exchange for the captives.

Meanwhile, Padilla called on the public to be more “discerning” on what they see and share on social media.

“Maaaring sila ay nagiging bahagi na ng paninira na ginagawa ng mga grupong ito nang di nila nalalaman… Maging mapanuri at maging maingat sa inyong tinitingnan sa social media para di po kayo nagiging bahagi ng isang propaganda,” he said. (John Roson)

– end –

A cameraman of the local affiliate of international media network CNN died after being shot by a still unidentified assailant in what police initially see as a work-related killing, in Imus City, Cavite, early Thursday.

Jonathan Oldan, a driver and assistant cameraman of CNN Philippines, died after being shot several times, Cavite provincial police director Senior Superintendent Jonnel Estomo said.

The 29-year-old Oldan was shot along Bukaneg st., Brgy. Pinagbuklod, around 5:15 a.m., Estomo said in a text message.

“He (Oldan) was shot to death on the way to work this morning,” CNN Philippines said in a statement.

“Naglalakad siya papunta sa sakayan ng jeep right after bumili ng sigarilyo,” Estomo said.

The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP), citing information from Oldan’s colleagues, said he was seen talking to somebody but witnesses saw him running a few minutes later, then he was shot to the head.

After the incident, the assailant fled with the weapon used, Estomo said, adding that Imus police have interviewed some bystanders who might have seen the incident.

Estomo said investigators see a possible link between the killing and Oldan’s work as a cameraman.

“Yes, pero hindi pa enough ang evidence namin,” the police official said.

CNN Philippines, meanwhile, condemned the incident and demanded justice for the slain cameraman.

“We deplore the killing of our colleague… We demand that his assailant/assailants be brought to justice. CNN Philippines condemns this act and will spare no effort to bring the criminal/criminals to justice,” the company said.

“If proven to be work related, Oldan will be the third journalist to be killed this year, 27th under the Aquino presidency and 167th since 1986,” the NUJP said.

Estomo said he has created Special Investigation Task Group “Oldan” to conduct a deeper probe into the incident. (John Roson)

– end –

Authorities arrested the leader of the so-called “Martilyo Gang” during an operation in Ozamis City Friday morning, police said.

Glenn Tayrus was arrested at a popular fastfood chain’s branch along Don Bernad ave. around 9 a.m., Northern Mindanao regional police director Chief Supt. Agrimero Cruz said.

Elements of the Cagayan de Oro City Police, Regional Public Safety Battalion, Regional Special Operations Group, and 10th Regional Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit carried out the arrest on a warrant for robbery with violence against persons, Cruz said.

Tayrus is one of the principal suspects in robbing a branch of the Development Bank of the Philippines and a pawnshop in Cagayan de Oro in November 2013 and December 2014, respectively, he said.

Tayrus is tagged as the National Police’s most wanted person among crime groups, being the leader of the Martilyo Gang that operates nationwide, Cruz said, citing records of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group.

The gang, whose members use hammers in staging holdups, has been blamed for two heists inside the SM Megamall in Mandaluyong City in January and December 2013.

It can be recalled that those incidents had prompted the National Capital Region Police to ask mall managements to control, if not prohibit, the sale of hammers inside their premises. (John Roson)

– end –

An Army soldier was arrested after holding hostage and stabbing a woman and her young son in Pilar, Sorsogon, on Thursday, police said.

Arrested was Pfc. Joel Magdalena, an active member of the 92nd Division Reconnaissance Company based in Aroroy, Masbate, Sorsogon provincial police spokesman Superintendent Nonito Marquez said.

The incident occurred in Brgy. Marifosque around 6:30 a.m.

Magdalena, a resident of Pili, Camarines Sur, was first seen creating a scene by brandishing a piece of wood and hitting people around him with it, Marquez said in an emailed report.

Magdalena also tried to hit PO2 Ronnel Perfecto, who happened to pass by on his motorcycle, but the policeman evaded the blow and tried to pacify the soldier, he said.

The soldier, however, ran and entered a home, where he took two knives and held hostage house owner Grace Manzanero and her young son, Marquez said.

This prompted Perfecto, barangay tanod Arnel Quintana, and one Jean Deponturom to enter the house to stop Magdalena from causing harm.

Magdalena, however, stabbed Manzanero and her son to the different parts of the body, Marquez said.

Perfecto, Quintana, and Deponturom later wrested from Magdalena the 13-inch and 11-inch knives he used. The soldier suffered injuries when he resisted arrest. 

Manzanero, her son, and Magdalena were brought to the Donsol District Hospital for treatment.

The soldier was later taken to the Pilar Police Station for investigation and filing of charges, Marquez said. (John Roson)

– end –

An Abu Sayyaf member and seven other inmates escaped from the Basilan Provincial Jail in Isabela City early Tuesday, police said.

Among those who escaped is Abu Sayyaf member Said Usman, Isabela City Police chief Superintendent Albert Larubis said.

Usman, a resident of Lantawan, is facing charges of four counts of kidnapping with serious illegal detention, Larubis said.

The other escapees were identified as Akmad Arasani, Obet dela Cruz, Serham Akalun alias Bagio, Benhar Ibrahim, Oliver Tinguha, Mumar Jajuli, and Arajan Dala.

Akalun, Tinguha, and Dala are facing charges for different counts of murder.

Arasani is facing charges of frustrated murder and violation of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act, Dela Cruz is charged for robbery, Ibrahim for cattle rustling, and Jajuli for illegal drugs.

Larubis said the duty provincial jail guard discovered the jailbreak around 8 a.m., while conducting an accounting of inmates at the facility in Geras, Brgy. Sumagdang.

Investigation indicated that the inmates who escaped were detained at cell no. 2, and managed to bolt out by climbing through the ceiling and jumping to the concrete fence, he said.

Police and jail guards are now conducting operations to recapture the escapees. (John Roson)

– end –

The mayor of Maitum, Sarangani, died Saturday morning after being ambushed by armed men Friday night, police said.

Mayor George Perrett expired at a hospital in General Santos City 2:40 a.m. because of cardiac arrest and loss of blood, after suffering a bullet wound to the leg, Supt. Jomar Alexis Yap, Sarangani provincial police deputy director, said by phone.

Perrett’s wife Elsie Lucille, a former mayor of Maitum, was not hurt in the attack but one of the couple’s aides, Andelma Andal, was injured, Yap said.

The incident occurred around 10:30 p.m., while Perrett, his wife, and some of ther aides were passing through Purok Bugo, Brgy. Malalag, on their Toyota Fortuner.

“Before that, galing sila sa municipal gymnasium kasi may program na singing, may pasayaw, natapos ito ng mga 10 p.m., nagta-travel sila pabalik ng bahay nang i-ambush,” Yap said.

Perrett was driving the vehicle and had no police escort. “According sa chief of police, ayaw niya magpasama sa mga pulis dahil wala naman siyang kalaban,” Yap said.

Initial investigation showed that three or more men fired upon Perrett’s vehicle from the hills beside the road.

Spent shells of an M16 rifle, a caliber-.45 pistol, and a 12-gauge shotgun were found at the scene.

“Accordingly, itong mga armado ay parang nakatago sa gilid ng kalsada, ‘yun ang analysis namin. Sabi kasi nung mga kasama ni mayor, wala silang nakitang ibang sasakyan nung time na ‘yun, basta pinutukan na lang daw sila,” Yap said.

Perrett, his wife, and Andal were initially brought to the Maitum Hospital, but were later transferred to the Saint Elizabeth Hospital in General Santos City, said Senior Insp. Aldrin Gonzales, Central Mindanao regional police spokesman.

“Sa ngayon wala pa kaming nakikitang possible motive kasi bagong mayor siya (Perrett) at mabait naman pag nakakausap namin, so ngayon nire-review namin kung may threats ba sa kanya, at ‘yung projects niya,” Yap said.

“Masusing iniimbestigahan ‘yung kaso and we will probably create an SITG (special investigation task group) for this,” he added. (John Roson)

– end –

3 men gunned down in Gensan

Three men facing drug and robbery charges died after being shot by still unidentified assailants in General Santos City Friday night, police said.

Senior Supt. Froilan Quidilla, General Santos City Police director, identified the three as Edwin Laranio alias “Gorang,” Emmanuel Fajardo alias “Tata Fajardo,” and Ronel Fuentes, all residents of neighboring Alabel, Sarangani.

The shooting occurred past 9 p.m. in Brgy. Baluan.

The three were eating at one of the “balut” stalls along the road when four men on two motorcycles arrived, shot them, and quickly fled, Quidilla said.

“Nagko-coordinate pa kami sa Sarangani provincial police office kasi mga taga-dun ‘yung mga pinatay, right now nag-iimbestiga pa kami,” he said.

Quidilla said investigators are looking at criminal cases where Laranio, Fajardo, and Fuentes were implicated.

Police received information that the three had drug-related cases and were accused of “akyat bahay”-robbery in Alabel, he said. (John Roson)

– end –

6 massacred in Pampanga

Six persons were killed while another was seriously injured after being shot by suspected robbers inside a home in San Fernando City, Pampanga, on Friday, police said.

Killed were businesswoman Corazon Edejer, 47; her son Kenneth Nolan, 19; stay-in helpers Nelson Hidalgo, 17; “Kakay,” 27; Teresita Camiling, 40; and one Benigno Villanueva, 52, said Pampanga provincial police spokesperson Supt. Anna Liza Guzman.

All succumbed to bullet wounds to the head, Guzman said.

Corazon’s husband Nicolas Edejer, 42, also suffered a bullet wound to the head, but was found alive is now recuperating at a local hospital.

“Mayroon silang business sa palengke, nagbabagsak ng bangus,” Guzman said of the Edejers.

The incident occurred inside the Edejers’ home in L&S Subdivision near the boundary of San Fernando City and Angeles City, Guzman said.

A “concerned citizen” reported discovering the incident around 6 p.m., she said.

Responding policemen found the Edejers lying in separate rooms while their helpers and Villanueva were found in different parts of the house, Guzman said.

A vault that belonged to one of the rooms on the second floor was found in the ground floor, leading investigators to believe that the assailants were robbers.

“‘Yung vault hindi nabuksan, intact. ‘Yun siguro ang kinukuha ng mga suspect. Nasa second floor siya pero naibaba na, hindi nabuksan, iniwan na lang siguro nila kasi matagal na sila,” Guzman said.

The assailants, however, took the DVD recorder of the house’s closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera, apparently to leave no evidence. They also took the family’s Toyota Hi-Lux and used it as their “getaway vehicle,” Guzman said.

The pick-up truck was found abandoned in Concepcion, Tarlac, she said.

Guzman said police in San Fernando City have already invited two persons for “questioning.”

“Mga dati silang nakasama ng mga biktima,” she said of the two. (John Roson)

– end –

Police on Saturday declared the killing of Batangas assistant provincial prosecutor Alexander Sandoval “solved” as it charged a mayoralty candidate, her husband, and four other persons for crime.

Murder charges were filed against mayoralty candidate Ana Marie Mendoza of Sta. Teresita town and her husband, incumbent Brgy. Calayaan chairman Hermogenes Mendoza, on Saturday, Batangas provincial police spokesman Senior Insp. Joel Laraya said.

Also charged for murder were Jayson Espejo, Richard Briones, a certain “Toks,” and two John Does, Laraya said in a statement.

Earlier, investigators found that Mrs. Mendoza owns the white Toyota Corolla (TDD-852) which Sandoval’s motorcycle-riding assailants used as “back-up” during the killing, Laraya said.

Espejo was arrested in a police chase in Brgy. Buli, Taal, on Thursday, shortly after Sandoval was gunned down in San Luis.

“The suspect’s (Espejo) confession implicated Brgy. chairman Hermogenes Mendoza, one alias “Toks,” and two John Does,” Laraya said.

The chase in Taal also resulted in the recovery of the black Honda Wave motorcycle which Sandoval’s assailants rode.

The motorcycle, despite having only a “for registration” plate, was traced through the Land Transportation Office as being owned by Briones, Laraya said.

On Friday, police arrested Mrs. Mendoza after a police raid on her and her husband’s three homes in Brgys. Calayaan and Bihis yielded an M16 rifle, caliber-.9mm pistol, caliber-.30 Carbine rifle, caliber-.22 pistol, and two caliber-.45 pistols.

The raiding team also seized a 1994 model Mitsubishi Pajero (TSG-872) which, according to Espejo, was used during their “surveillance,” Laraya said. (John Roson)

– end –

Five men allegedly involved in criminal activities were found dead after being hacked and shot by still unidentified assailants in Bugallon, Pangasinan, early Saturday, police said.

Romel, 38, Jomer, 17, Ronald, 34, Ernesto, 49 – all surnamed Ramoran – and Albert Martinez, 25, were found dead inside a shanty beside the Grand Royale Subdivision in Brgy. Poblacion, Senior Insp. Ryan Manongdo, Pangasinan provincial police spokesman, said.

The five, all natives of Sual, were eating around 12:30 a.m. when they were killed by about 10 armed and bonnet-wearing men, Manongdo said.

Investigation indicated that the armed men first held the five at gunpoint, tied up the hands and feet of Jomer and Albert with plastic straps, then hacked the duo’s heads with a bladed instrument, he said.

“When Rommel, Ernesto, and Ronald attempted to fight back, they were shot on the different parts of the body. As a consequence, all victims died on the spot,” Manongdo said in a text message.

Responding policemen found 16 empty shells and five slugs of caliber-.45 pistols and 14 plastic straps at the scene. A fan knife and a cellphone were recovered from Rommel and Albert’s bodies, respectively.

Investigators are looking at a possibility that the killings are related to the victims’ alleged involvement in criminal activities.

Information gathered from the area indicated that the five were engaged in robbery (akyat-bahay), cattle rustling, and theft, Manongdo said.

It was also learned that Rommel had been convicted for a case of robbery with acts of lasciviousness but was granted parole last April, the provincial police spokesman added.

Members of the Bugallon Police are still conducting an “in-depth investigation” to determine the assailants’ identities, he said. (John Roson)

– end –