Tag Archive: Davao del Norte


Three foreigners abducted by alleged Abu Sayyaf members on Samal Island, Davao del Norte, appeared in another video, calling on authorities to help save their lives by meeting their captors’ demands.

The 1 minute and 38-second video, posted on a Facebook page called “Pamantasan Ng Tawheed At Jihaad Filibin” Thursday morning showed Canadians John Ridsdel and Robert Hall, Norweigian Kjartan Sekkingstad, and a woman believed to be Filipina Marites Flor, sitting in a jungle while being surrounded by gunmen.

With one captor holding a bolo against his neck, Ridsdel appealed to the Canadian prime minister and other Canadians to meet the hostage-takers’ demands.

“Please do what’s needed to meet their demands within one month or they will kill me and they will execute us,” he said.

Hall said they are being held by the Abu Sayyaf for an amount of ransom unknown to him, and the Canadian government should act to get them out soon.

“We got one month before this happens,” he said.

Sekkingstad said he and his fellow hostages are being held by the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu.

“Follow negotiations and try to meet their demand within 30 days or we are all dead,” he said.

The woman believed to be Flor did not speak in the video, where the faces of almost all captors — including the one that held a bolo against Ridsdel’s neck — were seen.

One hostage-taker, who was wearing a black balaclava and sunglasses, spoke for the gunmen.

“We will give a warning for one month preparation for the family to meet the demand. Once you step… the negotiation within one month starting today, March 8, 2016 until April 8, 2016. Then, if you think that your policy is far better for you than the lives of the captives, certainly we will do something terrible against these captives,” he said.

A previous video clip showing Ridsdel, Hall, Sekkingstad, Flor and their captors appeared in the Internet last November, barely two months after they were seized in Samal September 21.

Sought for comment on the new video, Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said authorities have yet to determine its “authenticity.”

“Dinulog po natin itong material na ito, itong video na ‘to, sa tanggapan ng ating mga forensic experts at antayin po muna natin ang kanilang ilalahad at ang kanilang mahahanap upang ma-authenticate natin nang ganap,” Padilla told reporters.

He admitted that threats made by the hostage-takers are “serious” and said operations were ongoing to rescue the captives.

“‘Yan po ang ating isinasagawa, di po nagbabago ‘yan, at karamihan po ng ating mga naisagawa nang activities ay nakatuon ang pansin sa, hopefully, pag-rescue sa mga nasabing bihag,” Padilla said.

Last month, the head of the police’s anti-kidnapping unit confirmed that Abu Sayyaf members are holding the four people kidnapped in Samal.

Senior Superintendent Roberto Fajardo, director of the PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group, also confirmed that members of the al Qaeda-linked group are asking P1 billion in exchange for the captives.

Meanwhile, Padilla called on the public to be more “discerning” on what they see and share on social media.

“Maaaring sila ay nagiging bahagi na ng paninira na ginagawa ng mga grupong ito nang di nila nalalaman… Maging mapanuri at maging maingat sa inyong tinitingnan sa social media para di po kayo nagiging bahagi ng isang propaganda,” he said. (John Roson)

– end –

Suspected New People’s Army (NPA) members released on Monday a soldier’s two children who they seized in Kapalong, Davao Del Norte, on Sunday, the military said.

Mira Luna, 17, and Mona Lisa Masoluon, 12, were freed around 8 a.m. through negotiations by Datu Domingo, tribal chief of Sitio Kawayan, Brgy. Gupitan, Lt. Col. Lyndon Paniza, spokesman of the Army’s 10th Infantry Division, said.

Mira Luna and Mona Lisa, children of Pfc. Lito Masaluon, were seized by rebels while they were travelling with their father in Sitio Danao, Brgy Mandalingan, around 9:30 a.m., Paniza said.

The three, along with another civilian, were riding the elder Masaluon’s motorcycle when seven suspected NPA members fired upon them, Paniza said.

Masaluon and his children were on the way back to the Kimantaan detachment, where he is assigned, after picking up a sack of rice in Sitio Danao, according to the regional Army spokesman.

Sensing that his children will be in danger if he stays with them, Masaluon opted to divert the attackers’ attention to the opposite direction, leaving his children, Paniza said.

“Failing to kill Masaluon, the NPAs took the children instead… He ran to escape and to ask for help, but three NPAs followed him and continued firing at him,” Paniza said.

Masaluon is among the many military personnel who fell victim to the devastation brought by typhoon “Pablo,” according to Paniza.

“Our house was washed out by the flashflood in Kapalong, that is why I brought my two children to the detachment, for shelter,” Paniza quoted Masaluon as saying. (John Roson)

– end –

5 killed, 22 hurt in Davao bus mishap

Five people were killed while 22 others were injured when the bus they were riding slammed into the roadside and turned turtle, in Samal Island, Davao del Norte, Tuesday morning, police said.

Bus driver Eusephiano Rubio, 57 and passengers Mary Hazel Monion, 17; Milagros Cahanap, 60; Alfredo Baja, 60; and Mark Jun Senok, 30, died on the spot, Insp. Juanito Pacaña, commander of the police precinct in Brgy. Poblacion-Kaputian, said.

Twenty-two other passengers, three of whom are in serious condition, were brought to the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) in Davao City, Pacaña said.

The incident occurred around 11:20 a.m. while Rubio was driving the Island City Express bus (LWU-812) along an ascending road in Sitio 16, Brgy. Poblacion-Kaputian.

“Ascending sila noon, medyo matarik ‘yung road, nung mawalan ng control ‘yung driver sa sasakyan. Nawalan siguro ng preno kaya ibinangga niya ‘yung sasakyan sa gilid ng kalsada,” Pacaña said. (John Roson)

– end –

Cop gunned down in Compostela Valley

A police officer was shot dead by a still unidentified man in front of his store in Mawab, Compostela Valley, Friday afternoon, police said.

SPO1 Achilles Anover, assigned in Tagum City, Davao del Norte, was brought to the Reagan Hospital due to multiple bullet wounds to the body but was declared dead on arrival by doctors, Southern Mindanao regional police spokesman Supt. Marcial Magistrado said.

The incident occurred around 5 p.m., while Anover, a resident of Purok 3, Brgy. Poblacion, Mawab, was standing outside his store in Purok 4.

An unidentified man approcahed Anover and suddenly shot him several times, Magistrado said, citing a report from the Mawab Police.

Found at the scene were Anover’s pouch bag, two cellphones, caliber-.9mm service pistol, and 17 live ammunition.

Local police are still trying to determine the motive and identity of the assailant, who immediately fled after the incident, Magistrado said. (John Roson)

– end –

Six people, including a police officer, got killed while another was injured in a heist that led to a shootout between the alleged robbers and lawmen in Panabo City, Davao del Norte, Tuesday afternoon, police said.

Killed were Senior Insp. Rene Angelo Alampay, intelligence officer of the Panabo City police; security guard Edgar Mocos; driver Allen Jones Polo; Irene Zamora, and the two suspects, Senior Insp. Gretchin Cinco, Southern Mindanao regional police spokesperson, said.

The heist occurred around 1 p.m. at the Yidong Agri Supply store, owned by Filipino-Chinese businessman Leo Apalie Lai, in Purok Avocado, Brgy. Cagangohan.

Two men on a yellow motorcycle arrived, entered the store, and immediately shot and killed on the spot Mocos and Polo. Darios Pilotos, the store’s warehouseman, was wounded and taken to the Rivera Hospital, Cinco said.

Upon learning the incident, members of the Panabo City Police, led by Alampay, went to the area but were fired upon by the suspects upon arrival.

Alampay died at the scene while his fellow policemen shot it out with the suspects, who took Lai’s vehicle and brought Zamora with them as hostage.

Both suspects died in the firefight. One was later identified as Dexter Marcellones.

Zamora also got killed in the shootout, Cinco said. (John Roson)

– end –

Cops nab arson suspect in Davao City

Police arrested a man wanted for arson, murder, and several other incidents in Compostela Valley and Davao del Norte, during an operation at a subdivision in Talomo district, Davao City, early Monday.

The suspect, identified as Melchor Renomeron, was arrested around 5:30 a.m. along Pious st., Phase 2, Alpha Homes Subd., in Brgy. Matina Aplaya, Senior Insp. Gretchin Cinco, deputy spokesperson of the Southern Mindanao regional police, said.

Members of the Regional Intelligence Division and PNP Special Action Force carried out the arrest, Cinco said.

Renomeron is facing charges of arson with multiple murder, frustrated murder, robbery in band, and robbery in band with multiple frustrated murder, she said. (John Roson)

– end –

Seven people were injured when a grenade lobbed by suspected New People’s Army (NPA) members exploded at a military checkpoint in Panabo City, Davao del Norte, Friday evening, a military spokesman said.

The explosion occurred around 6:30 p.m. at the Army 69th Infantry Battalion’s checkpoint in Brgy. San Roque, Armed Forces Eastern Mindanao Command spokesman Col. Leopoldo Galon said.

“A suspected NPA member sneaked from behind the troops, who were conducting a checkpoint by the roadside in front of the barangay hall, and hurled the grenade,” Galon said in a text message.

Injured were Sgt. Tapat, Sgt. Delos Reyes, Cpl. Arenasa, Pfc. Laroya, militiaman Jimentesa, and civilians Noli Paglinawan and Dominic Camansi.

The seven were immediately taken to the Rivera Hospital on a civilian vehicle but Arenasa and Paglinawan, who suffered shrapnel wounds on the thigh, stomach, and chest, were transferred to the Southern Philippines Medical Center in Davao City.

The other victims will be transferred to the Camp Panacan Hospital, Galon said. (John Roson)

– end –